Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Ringer: Maybe We Can Get a Dog Instead? (1.8)

This was a far more character-driven episode than any of the ones preceding it, but lacking in anything particularly juicy. All the show needs to do now is find some kind of balance between the two. While I enjoyed a lot of the character beats on offer here, it was an hour that was practically crying out for something additionally soapy and ridiculous. And on that front the episode came up short. Up until the FBI wire scene, this was a major snooze-fest.

Maybe We Can Get a Dog Instead? did eventually perk up. The seeds appear to be getting sewed for a Bridget/Malcolm/Andrew triangle, and it's something I'm already a fan of. Sarah has chemistry with both men, and you can understand Bridget's interest in the two of them. Malcolm is Bridget's longest-standing supporter, and the role reversal midway through the episode showed significant friendship. It was a scene that felt particularly poignant, as Bridget insisted on helping Malcolm get off the bad shit, just like he did for her.

At the same time, Bridget likes the closeness of her surrogate family with Andrew and Juliet. The animosity between Bridget and her sort-of step-daughter appears to have entirely dissipated, while there's a striking connection between her and Andrew. I like seeing Andrew suddenly engaging with his 'wife', and seeing new levels to her personality. Of course, there's that tragic irony beneath the surface, but I'm enjoying watching it unfold.

Outside of those particular angles, though, I feel like Ringer has lost a lot of its forward momentum ever since Gemma's departure. There wasn't even a shred of urgency here, and the 'spiraling-out-of-control' tone that sparkled just a couple of episodes back has already bottomed out. Eight episodes in, and I still don't know what kind of show Ringer is trying to be. The pregnancy resolution is a good example of that, since all the juicy possibilities (secret bi-racial baby, fake bump, self-inflicted miscarriage) were squandered in favor of the lamest possible outcome. A show like Revenge would have probably went all out, and Ringer was happy to remain flat and stagnant.

I'm still enjoying the Bridget/Malcolm/Andrew character work, but Ringer is in serious need of some kind of narrative defibrillator. Fast. C+

Credits
Guest stars Zoey Deutch (Juliet Martin); Billy Miller (Charlie Young); Justin Bruening (Tyler Barrett); Jason Dohring (Mr. Carpenter); Gage Golightly (Tessa Banner); Jaime Murray (Olivia Charles)
Writer Jay Faerber Director Nathan Hope

2 comments:

  1. Timing win! Nice to be greeted with a new review when I log on =)

    I have to say though, other than the lame escape from the sonogram situation, this episode was one of my favourites, if solely due to how much character time there was. And I'm loving Bridget and Siobhan's lives colliding, especially that dinner scene (way too short if you ask me).

    OK, I'll stop and leave it for my own review, which I'll be popping up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Panda! I'll post more over at your place...

    ReplyDelete