Monday, November 28, 2011

Buffy: Family (5.6)

This episode raises an interesting point about Tara. For all the time that she's been around, she's pretty much been depicted as three things: a witch, a lesbian, and kind of insecure. We don't know a whole lot about her as a person, and it's a feeling that both Buffy and Xander discuss when thinking over potential birthday gifts. She's a nice gal, but there's not a whole lot 'there'. Step in Mr. Whedon, who crafts an intriguing backstory for her that goes some way in explaining why she's so awkward and nervous in public.

I enjoyed the subversion of expectations showcased here. We're so used to seeing misery and violence plague all the romantic couples on Buffy that it's extremely surprising to see Willow and Tara's relationship surviving intact this week. Tara isn't demonic. She's not even evil. She's a girl severely affected by her conservative nut-job family, who have done everything they can to suppress her and scare her into thinking their way. It's horrible abuse at it's more subtle, and it's depicted really well throughout Family. I'm not a huge Amber Benson fan, but she performed fine here. And there's Amy Adams, too, who's great as always. It's so funny seeing her on old genre TV shows, considering she's since become this huge three-time Oscar nominee.

Elsewhere, the clown demons were ridiculously squicky, and I continue to enjoy the characterization of Glory. Love the walk-in closet! Similarly fun is the continued Spike subplot. It's being played for comedic effect right now, and it's also hilariously naughty ('I'm coming, I'm coming right now!'). Spike is once again stealing the show, right down to his punching Tara at the end.

Family is an important episode which isn't as showy and groundbreaking as other Joss Whedon-scripted hours, but it's an effective and nicely intimate little character study. B+

Credits
Guest stars Mercedes McNab (Harmony Kendall); Clare Kramer (Glory); Charlie Weber (Ben); Amy Adams (Beth); Steve Rankin (Mr. Maclay); Amber Benson (Tara Maclay)
Writer Joss Whedon Director Joss Whedon

3 comments:

  1. This is a series classic for me. I've always been an Amber fan, and this was one of her highlights. Though, she really peaked early on in season 6. Joss has a knack for addressing all the problems that fans were likely to face while watching his show. Great review, and I love what you said about Amy Adams, especially in things like Charmed's 'Murphy's Luck'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had a strange thing with Amber Benson. Sometimes I find her entirely awful (my Tough Love review is just one long paragraph where I entirely trash her acting, which I already feel guilty about, heh), but then I really love her in season six, especially when she leaves Willow and later has all those great scenes with Buffy. At that point, though, Tara was pretty much the only character on the show who wasn't horrible, so maybe I automatically started seeing the good in her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love 'Tough Love'! Though I haven't seen it in a while, the scene with Willow finding Tara all brain sucked is heart-breaking. Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete