Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Charmed: Happily Ever After (5.3)

The deconstruction of various popular fairy tales made for a ton of fun, seeing Piper dolled up like Red Riding Hood, Paige becoming Snow White, and Grams getting attacked by the big bad wolf. It's an interesting episode in general, the show utilizing old ideas to create something kind of fresh, instead of merely remaking a concept and calling it a Charmed episode. They did that a lot from here on out, using pre-existing fables and stories as inspiration for Halliwell hoodoo, and this was one of the few examples that didn't totally blow.

I also liked Grams' involvement here. The familial tension between her and Paige needed more work and probably should have been the emotional crux of the hour, but I appreciated Grams' quick-thinking and her ability to concoct potions. Her interaction with Piper was, like always, amusing. I don't get why they didn't bring her back more often. Sure, she's dead, but the entire concept of death had been entirely fried by this point, why couldn't she have been a regular?

The dynamic between Cole and Phoebe remains repetitive, but I appreciated that they're trying to do something a little different with Cole himself so far, with his desire to actually help her instead of repeatedly convincing her of his love. I just wish the writers could have given Phoebe better ways to play off him, instead of constantly whining or whatever. Happily Ever After doesn't provoke a lot of discussion, but I feel it's a neat little filler episode. B

Crimes of Fashion I'm of the opinion that Phoebe's evening gown is one of the most hideous things I've ever seen. And I'm not just talking about clothes. The shiny mini-skirt, the incongruous ruffles stapled onto it, the navel-baring bodice and the fugly train at the back. It's seriously one of the worst things ever worn on this show. It needs to be burned. And it's great that the show is hiring mentally unbalanced individuals like the mononymous leprechaun monster Eilish, but... ugh.

Credits
Guest stars Sean Patrick Flanery (Adam); Jennifer Rhodes (Penny 'Grams' Halliwell); Natalija Nogulich (Evil Witch); Danny Woodburn (Dwarf); Kay E. Kuter (Keeper); Tinsley Grimes (Phoebe's Assistant); Charlie Shanian (Apprentice)
Writer Curtis Kheel Director John Kretchmer

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this more than Panda! He and I really differed on this one! This has always been one of my favorites of season 5 as I felt it was one of the few light Charmed episodes to work so well! I'd like to rewatch it soon although I'll undoubtedly find myself disappointed (an unfortunately common feeling one gets while watching Charmed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously you guys know what I think already, but we still agree one the whole Paige/Grams thing. I really liked all that interaction.

    ReplyDelete