Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Charmed: The Day the Magic Died (5.15)

An important episode for obvious reasons, but one that struggles to find its identity. The tone is all over the place from the very beginning, opening as a weak 'comedy of errors' sitcom episode with the manic running and scenery-chewing double-takes, before descending into violence and carnage midway through the hour. Like a lot of the recent 'blah' Charmed episodes, there are some interesting ideas at work, here the concept of all magic disappearing from the world, but they're not realized as effectively as they could have been.

Cheryl Ladd has a strange guest spot as Victor's new wife, who turns out to be in league with the demons and eager to steal Piper's unborn baby. It's a needlessly convoluted plan, and made worse by the lack of follow-through. Victor fell in love and got re-married, only to end up stabbed and widowed. There's no real coda, and it feels more than a little tossed together at the expense of realistic characterization.

In the end, there's a cute scene with Piper giving birth, and it worked really well. There was something reasonably epic about the baby coming out all sparkly, and I don't think anybody can deny that the final shot of the whole family together was kind of sweet. But there's not a whole lot to say about this one, despite the important events that occur. I get the impression that it's popular in fan circles, but it personally didn't inspire a whole lot for me. C

Credits
Guest stars James Read (Victor Bennet); Richard Lynch (Cronyn); W. Morgan Sheppard (Merrill); J.P. Manoux (Stanley); Maggie Baird (Doctor); Cheryl Ladd (Doris)
Writer Daniel Cerone Director Stuart Gillard

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I actually LOVE this one and it might be my favorite of Season 5. It just gives me such a happy and cozy feeling while watching it. Along with Sense & Sensibility and The Eyes Have It, I remember these 3 being the strongest hours of the season. It's too bad you don't love it as much.
    The twist with Chery Ladd just cracks me up. It's so random and the storyline is so rushed yet it's the kind of random plot point that amused me and didn't make me roll my eyes like the rest of the season.
    I especially love Phoebe & Paige stocking up and facing the bar of demons powerless (although it always pisses me off we never really see the actual battle which would have been epic).
    And of course, the finale scene is pure awesomeness. So touching and wonderful. Or as you put it, "kind of sweet" :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I remembered you writing that you liked this one. Maybe on Panda's site? I remember I used to like it a lot, but then in this re-watch I just didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup on Panda's site. Hmmm better rewatch it then! I have a feeling I will be pretty critical of Charmed if I rewatch it after all the good shows of the last few years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, no - a "C"? It does change tone and get much more serious about 2/3rds in, but I don't think that makes it confused. For me it sits right along Buffy episodes like Halloween (which also followed the funny to threatening to ending on sentimentality formula). If anything, I think this is one of the few Charmed episodes that covers all that emotional ground successfully. This is the highlight of S5 IMO.

    ReplyDelete