Monday, January 30, 2012

Buffy: Bargaining Part 2 (6.2)

There's a lot of padding in this two-parter, which results in a second half that feels around twenty minutes longer than it needed to be. But the most successful aspect to Bargaining Part 2 is the ease the writers avoided when it came to Buffy's resurrection. On a new network with a lot riding on the show's immediate success, it would have probably been simpler for the writers to have an act or two of unbalanced Buffy trying to figure out how she came back, followed by a quick snap back into kick-ass slayer mode. What we have here is far more interesting, though, with the hour ending not on a triumphant reunion, but of a still-rattled Buffy wearing a blank facial expression as she hugs Dawn. It's scary how similar it is to Dawn hugging the Buffybot last episode. So Buffy's back, but she's far from normal...

Apart from Anya and her inappropriate marriage dialogue, there wasn't a whole lot of fun here. This is one of the biggest complaints leveled at season six, and I can't disagree. There's something inherently sad about seeing the Buffybot get pulled apart, and the ideas floated through the episode are ridiculously depressing: Buffy clawing her way out of her own grave, the Scoobies working out what they're responsible for, and Buffy wondering if she's landed in hell -- it's all relentlessly bleak and morbid, and opens the year on a major downer.

But, at the same time, I like that the show is clearly journeying down avenues which are uncomfortable and challenging. My opinion (from memory, at least) is that all this stuff quickly falls apart as the year goes on, but right now the set-up is intriguing.

The only aspect of the episode I really didn't like were the demon bikers. I was a little uncomfortable with how much violence they inflicted on both Buffy's (even if one was a machine), while the rape dialogue was plain ugly. I didn't really know what the writers were trying to do with these guys. Ugh.

But Bargaining Part 2 still holds up well. It sometimes drags, but the ideas are there, and that's enough right now to keep any reasonable fan intrigued. Poor Buffy, though. That's pretty much the one lingering thought we're left with as the credits roll... B-

Credits
Guest stars Franc Ross (Razor); Amber Benson (Tara Maclay)
Writer David Fury Director David Grossman

5 comments:

  1. Like most fans, I'm not a major fan of this season, but I've always loved this premiere. I do agree about it dragging a certain amount, but the majority of it is so ambitious and well paced, particularly with Buffy dealing with her resurrection.

    For me, season 6 was a necessity, particularly the idea of real life as the big bad, and getting Buffy over the trauma of being ripped from heaven. But a bit more action, and less of the trio, could have sparked things up a bit. I know you weren't too fond of it, bit I did love the Dark Willow arc, which saved a lot of the season for me.

    Great reviews as always. I'm interested to see what your thoughts are on the next two seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed everything on the head Max. One point I want to discuss; I reallllllyyy hated the rape allusions in this one! It just creeped me out and I hate when they do that in female heroine shows like Buffy & Dark Angel. It's like they build up these female asskickers and then taunt us by saying there's always the risk of them being violated THAT way no matter how powerful they are. It irks me and I find it unnecessary. Call me a feminist Joss Whedon style I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Panda Watching season six again was something I was really excited for, just because it's such a polarizing season. I've nearly finished it right now and I definitely admire the ideas running through most episodes. It's only the execution that is sometimes clumsy and awkward. There's so much to discuss, though. Some of my upcoming reviews are freakin' enormous. Damn.

    Nadim Absolutely. No matter how powerful the girl is, I don't like seeing her getting smacked around like that, especially when the antagonist is so grotesque. Like I said, the rape dialogue was gratuitous and ugly. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the bikers were really scary.. I think they felt they had to hike up the level to leave us shocked at what would really happen without the Slayer around, things truly would get horrifying on a scummier all foggying kind of level.
    (Perhaps it was a nod to B-movies? I haven't seen any to my knowledge but they always seem to involve cars and bikers and that still from above felt very visual, maybe even a bit like that ex-charmed Rose's character with the machine gun leg. If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about that's because I don't really!)

    I found this episode totally gripping and found myself at the end holding my hands in front of my face like a chipmunk from the distress of it all!
    Personally I really enjoyed (well enjoyed seems like the wrong word!) feeling Buffy teeter on the edge, literally also, it felt so heart wrenching feeling as though the whole world could just fall apart without her around, I think her strength was used quite staunchly here, Buffy being potentially volatile is just as terryfing as losing her but she still had that innate sense to look out for others
    =( Ohhh it's sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comments! You're talking about Grindhouse, and I can see the visual comparison: woman meets machine. And I liked the analogy you wrote about Buffy's absence making the world so much more horrifying, as well as what you wrote about her instinctive slayer-ness, even when she wasn't conscious of it. It's really in keeping with what happened last year with the first slayer and the more primal slayer origins.

    ReplyDelete