Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ringer: She's Ruining Everything (1.2)

Judging from episode two, the main thrust of the series will be Bridget slowly attempting to fix the lives of people that Siobhan presumably took for granted. She cheats on her husband, who seems like a good man kept at a distance by his icy wife. She betrays her best friend, who's clearly vulnerable and erratic. And she seemingly trashes her catty stepdaughter at every opportunity, instead of offering the guidance and support that she seems to be crying out for. Bridget improved as a character here, too. She's still frustratingly vacant at points, but I like that she decided to stick around and try and make a positive difference. There was no way that wasn't going to happen, but whatever.

Jaime Murray continues to play vampy British ladies, and she added some spark to the ensemble. I'm interested to see how her relationship with Bridget/Siobhan will unfold, considering they're obviously familiar enough with each other for her to make such controversial comments about 'Siobhan''s pregnancy. I also really like Ioan Gruffudd's performance so far, as he's adding some shades to a character that on paper probably isn't all that interesting.

If there's one issue I had with this episode, it's the pacing. I love a good 'hidden dead body' story as much as the next guy, but the number of times the camera cut back to the trunk became almost comedic. At the same time, I kind of wish the show would increase the trash factor. It's too silly right now to work as straight drama, and it would be a hell of a lot more fun if the writers allowed Ringer to became a little more soapy and melodramatic. I had my hopes up when Bridget reached for the buzz-saw, but then nothing came of that...

She's Ruining Everything had a tricky job, in setting up the formula for how Ringer will work week-to-week. It's still not perfect by any means, but damn if I'm ever absorbed and eager to find out what's actually happening... B-

Credits
Guest stars Tara Summers (Gemma Butler); Zoey Deutch (Juliet Martin); Zahn McClarnon (Bodaway Macawi); Jaime Murray (Olivia Charles)
Writers Eric Charmelo, Nicole Snyder Director Rob Bailey

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with the whole silly aspect of the show. They need to embrace it and run with it, which is something I wrote about myself.

    Great review, and I agree that it's still a bit all over the place but I'm hooked on it already so I guess that means it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sad that this show is just so damn cheesy and corny. I was soooo looking forward to it being the new 24 or Lost etc.... and by that I just mean a serious suspense thriller not a soapy diversion.
    But this second episode sadly set the tone for a lot of eye rolling disappointment. I can't believe SMG said she thought this show was on par with Damages for example when she read the script. Good lord she really has bad taste.
    Of course I will continue watching but I was expecting so much more. The premise just had SO much potential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Panda It's funny reading your review, since we seem to feel exactly the same way about it. But, yeah, embrace the trash Ringer!

    Nadims I heard about the Damages comparisons, too. But besides the use of flashback and the "episode title ripped from dialogue" thing, I can't see it either. Damages is so much deeper and more fascinating.

    Thanks so much for both of your comments, by the way!

    ReplyDelete