Monday, September 19, 2011

Angel: I Will Remember You (1.8)

In some ways I Will Remember You is nothing but fan-service, an expected 'what if?' episode that gives the legions of Bangel fans exactly what they always wanted to see. But regardless of the pessimism, it's a remarkably epic-feeling episode, hitting you with wall after wall of varying emotions, from the cold, angry reunion at the very beginning to the dizzy romantic highs of their first non-evil inducing sex scene, to that final implosion of sadness as the day winds to a close. Both David and Sarah are spectacular, perfectly capturing the feel of a relationship that was quickly terminated, as well as the sense that you can't really believe what is happening.

Like In the Dark, Angel once again sacrificed a major blessing in order to serve the greater good. He could have taken his newfound humanity to heart, but knew that in the long run it would cost lives and could just as much destroy his and Buffy's relationship as it could make it. There's definitely the sense so far that Angel feels most comfortable in his punished state, being withdrawn from the world the only feeling that makes him content in some way. Because feeling anything happier would just create guilt.

Great interaction between Cordelia and Doyle here, too. They have really wonderful chemistry together, and seem to have a truly even-handed relationship, both being able to teach the other about life. I really liked Glenn Quinn. And now I'm sad.

Blah. I Will Remember You is a soulful, passionate episode about two people who are ridiculously in love with one another. The opening sequences drag something fierce, but it's worth it for the gut-wrenching romanticism of the later scenes. I'm not sure it deserves its 'series classic' reputation, but it's an undeniably affecting hour. B+

Credits
Guest stars Carey Cannon (Female Oracle); Randall Slavin (Male Oracle); Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers)
Writers David Greenwalt, Jeannine Renshaw Director David Grossman

2 comments:

  1. "In some ways I Will Remember You is nothing but fan-service, an expected 'what if?' episode that gives the legions of Spuffy fans exactly what they always wanted to see."

    Spuffy fans? What?

    I love this episode, but I agree with you that it is a little overrated.

    SPOILERS

    When I was 12 years old, I had this theory that Buffy got pregnant with twins during I Will Remember You. And even though Angel altered reality, Buffy's pregnancy later allowed Dawn and Connor to exist. And that was why both Buffy and Angel had their own kids a couple of season later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Took a year and a half, but I just edited it. Clearly had Spuffy on the brain. Thanks!

    And that's a really cool theory. I have no idea if it could actually be legit, but I love whenever fans come up with random mythology stuff. It just shows how affecting TV can be.

    ReplyDelete