Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Charmed: Sam I Am (5.9)

"I can't orgasm", "I want to quit my job", "I'm a failure because I quit my job", "Which random person should I sleep with this week?" Considering the pedigree of annoying subplots Paige has been saddled with this season, it's surprising to see the writers exploring one element of her character that has long remained untapped. Sam I Am attempts to fill in some gaps in Paige's history, reuniting her with her long-lost father and helping her acknowledge some of her so-called 'abandonment issues'. It's an admirable attempt to explore a character's personality, even more so because the characterization on Charmed has been pretty one-note of late.

Cole's elaborate plan to make the sisters think he's evil so that they kill him is needlessly complex, but I guess it's in keeping with his character. I'm of the opinion that his turnaround in sanity happened a little too quickly, but the show is at least giving Julian McMahon some interesting material to work with. Phoebe's constant bitching about her ex-husband is really grating on me, though. If she's not worried that he's stalking her, she's worried when he's not stalking her. She wants to kill him, then she doesn't want to kill him. Ugh. Make up your damn mind, woman, or move the hell on. Yeesh!

There are a couple of logic gaps along the way, but generally Sam I Am works well as an episode. Rose McGowan and Scott Jaeck are great, and it's always neat to see the show look back and explore abandoned plot strands from the past. B

Credits
Guest stars Tony Todd (Force); Scott Jaeck (Sam Wilder); F.J. Rio (Ronan); Joel Swetow (Alpha); Eric Winter (Trevor); The Flaming Lips (Themselves)
Writers Alison Schapker; Monica Breen Director Joel J. Feigenbaum

1 comment:

  1. Great review, it's pretty much the same as my own. I have to agree with the speed of Cole's transformation into psycho, it was rather fast, obviously sped up because Julian wanted out. But like you said, he got some great stuff to work with, nut that he needed it. he seems to make the most of the dribble they give him sometimes.

    Phoebe is really grating too, they seem to have forgotten about making her likable, and then try to overcompensate by turning her into a complete ditz after Cole leaves. It's really frustrating.

    ReplyDelete