Saturday, July 16, 2011

Charmed: Primrose Empath (3.6)

Ordinarily I dislike it when an evil character seems to come up with a new evil plan every week. But, for some reason, I'm not actively disliking Cole's various one-episode schemes. I don't know if it's Julian McMahon's performance (which is as subtle as possible, making him stick out like a sore-thumb compared to the hideously melodramatic guest actors on this show), or if the writers are evolving Cole as a character at just the right speed, but it's working for me. I buy Cole's rash of feelings for Phoebe, and I also buy that he wouldn't be so eager right now to cause Phoebe so much pain. It's an interesting moral dilemma, and pretty funny that the most fascinating character on the show right now only appeared six episodes ago.

Primrose Empath is a pretty wonderful Prue episode. I can understand why people disliked how omnipresent Prue always was during her tenure on the show, but the story here could have only logically been driven by her. I said it last review, but she has a calm and relatable quality to her as a character, something that lacks in the increasingly annoying Phoebe and the shrill and/or manic Piper.

The story here is intriguing, depicting the idea of empathy as something painful and horrifying. It's been done similarly on other shows, but Shannen is pretty spectacular here, offering some of the best dramatic acting the show ever saw. I didn't like how the episode slid into Matrix-lite action at the end (and I still don't get how Prue's Astral self could have jumped inside Vinceres like that), but the episode in general is pretty successful. B+

Crimes of Fashion Finally, Phoebe admits that she has a 'fashion blunder', yet only when talking about that gross bird-feather/denim eyesore in the teaser. What about the enormous black dress and wraparound orange shirt she wears through most of the episode? Or that ugly boob-a-palooza at P3? I'm seriously concerned for her eye-sight.

Credits
Guest stars Morgan Weisser (Vinceres); Harry Groener (Father Thomas)
Writer Daniel Cerone Director Mel Damski

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually re-watching the show also, and just watched this one a few days ago. Coincidentally, I was also wondering about Cole's scheme(s)-of-the-week, but the fact that they didn't last very long (And were all written very well) helped them in my book. I like how we all get to experience Ms Doherty's amazing talent here too. It does unnoticed at times (it's also ruined by her awful real life diva personality).
    Keep writing!
    pandacharmed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matrix-lite doesn't even begin to cover the (at best, a tribute) blatant Rip-off of the final fight scene in the first matrix movie. Seriously, watch the matrix, then watch the last fight of Primrose episode and you will see they are the EXACT same scene, right down to the enemy screaming as his skin writhes, then exploding in GREEN light after Neo/Prue jumps into him! SO, which came first? This episode or the matrix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Matrix came first, and I only noticed the blatant on my third watch through of the series. Technically second watch through since the first time I watched it was in out of order reruns on TV spread throughout a few years.

    ReplyDelete